Friday, August 14, 2009

TGIF

A few days short of a year ago today I made a simple, small mistake that turned out to be the worst nightmare and toughest experience I have ever endured. I drank and drove.

This is probably not news to most of you. And I know I have preached to no end about the dangers of drinking and driving. I feel like a MADD member or something. But if I can prevent one nightmare for someone else, save one life or simply make you think twice about making the mistake I made, I feel that I have made a world of difference.

I'd like to remind you what this mistake has cost me: approximately $5,000, friends, my reputation, relationships, and a year of anxiety, headaches and heartburn.

Today was my final court date. After paying the last $15 I owed for a Motor Vehicle Report (yeah, the government charges you to look into their own records) I am a free man. My supervision has ended, all fines and fees are paid, classes and courses completed, and I have a huge load off my shoulders.

I have learned my lesson. I will never make that mistake again. And today marks a fresh start. I have some relationships that still need mending, some serious health problems that have sparked from all of the anxiety I have suffered, and a lot of debt to be paid, but I can only go up from here.

The sun is shining, it's Friday, I'm in Chicago surrounded by some of my best friends, and life is good. So I'm moving forward, closing this ugly chapter of my life and putting the past to rest.

0 comments: