Wednesday, December 17, 2008

life south of I-80 (after one semsester)

Champaign-Urbana is like nowhere else. I had no clear picture of what I was getting into moving down here this past August. I went into it however, with an open mind and no direction whatsoever. There, I said it. I really had no clue; not enough money for U of I, barely enough motivation for community college, little money, no job...

I could have stayed back home: no rent, well-paying job, much more security, my good friends, family... but I needed a change. And now, this is home, and I love it. Despite my lower-paying job, increased expenses, crazy roommate drama and lack of sanity, I love every minute of it. It's the college experience I never had, and to be honest, never thought I needed. But it's forcing me to grow up and figure out exactly what it is I want/need to do with the rest of my life. Granted, at first it just confused me more, I think I needed that confusion to shake things up.

I'm still just a lost puppy at this point, but at least I'm in the park with all the other dogs, surrounded by people, places and things that give me more sense of meaning. Though I may not know exactly what it is, I've foundmy raison d'etre and it's right here in Champaign (for now at least).

0 comments: